SECTION A STATEMENT
In this section you will hear eight statements .At the end of each statement you will be given 10 seconds to answer the question.
1. The speaker is most probably a(n) ___.
B. construction worker
C. tourist guide
D. housing agent
2. What does the statement mean?
A. Travel is much faster and convenient now than before.
B. People are now travelling much more than in old days.
C. Traveling to far-away places has become very common.
D. It used to take two more weeks to travel by coach than now
3. The speaker feels sorry because___.
A. he can’t attend tomorrow’s dinner.
B. his wife can’t attend tomorrow’s dinner.
C. the couple can’t attend tomorrow’s dinner.
D. the couple would be unable to cook the dinner.
4. Where is the speaker?
A. In the zoo.
B. In the classroom.
C. In the library.
D. At a meeting.
5. What does the statement mean?
A. One’s success is largely dependent on intelligence.
B. Low motivation may lead to poor performance.
C. Motivated people are more likely to succeed.
D. Both motivation and intelligence are important.
6. What does the speaker suggest?
A. We should read word by word to get his meaning.
B. We should read line by line to get his meaning.
C. We should try to find the hidden meaning.
D. We should try to find the lines and read them aloud.
7. How much does the overcoat cost at the regular price?
8. What does the speaker mean?
A. The sports meet has been cancelled.
B. The sports meet has been held despite the rain.
C. The time has been set for the sports meet.
D. When the sports meet will be held is yet to be known.
SECTION B CONVERSATION
In this section, you will hear nine short conversations between two speakers. At the end of each conversation you will be given 10 seconds to answer the question.
9．What are the speakers probably going to do?
A. To persuade Mary to spend more time on her lessons
B. To help Mary to prepare for the upcoming concert.
C. To talk with Mary about going to the concert.
D. To ask Mary to stop worrying about the exam
10. What can we learn about the man?
A. He firmly believes in UFOs.
B. He is doubtful about UFOs.
C. He is sure many people have seen UFOs.
D. He thinks many people have lied about UFOs.
11. Which of the following has the man never been interested in?
A. Electronic music.
B. Civil engineering.
D. Electronic engineering.
12. What does the man mean?
A. The milk is safe to drink.
B. The milk is not safe to drink.
C. She shouldn’t have bought the milk.
D. He wouldn’t have milk for breakfast.
13. How many people were caught in the fire?
14. What can we learn from the conversation?
A. The woman will attend her course at 7:45.
B. The woman will be late for the blood test.
C. The woman will have her blood tested before the first class.
D. The woman decides to miss the first class for her blood test.
15. What is the probable relationship between the two speakers?
A. Salesman and customer.
B. Expert on jewelry and his wife.
C. Estate agent and client.
D. Husband and wife.
16. How does the man probably feel?
17. What do we know about Bill?
A. He is thoughtful.
B. He is forgetful.
C. He is careless.
D. He is helpful.
SECTION C NEWS BROADCAST
Questions 18 and 19 are based on the following news .At the end of the news item, you will be given 20 seconds to answer the questions. Now listen to the news.
18. Which of the following is NOT a condition for the reduction of debts?
A. Poverty elimination.
B. Good government.
C. Fight against corruption.
D. Poor living standard.
19. By cancelling the debts owed to her, Britain intends to ___a similar scheme proposed by the International Monetary Fund.
Questions 20 and 21 are based on the following news. At the end of the news item, you will be given 20 seconds to answer the questions. Now listen to the news.
20. What happened during the accident?
A. A train hit another train.
B. A train killed 23 people.
C. A train went off its tracks.
D. A train was trapped inside the station.
21. Which of the following statements best describes the condition of the passengers?
A. No one was fatally injured.
B. There were many heavy casualties.
C. No one was hurt during the accident.
D. Someone was killed during the accident
Questions 22 and 23 are based on the following news. At the end of the news item, you will be given 20 seconds to answer the questions. Now listen to the news.
22. The civil servants held a strike to protest___.
A. spending cuts.
B. reform measures
C. pay cuts.
D. low pay.
23. The civil servants’ strike was staged ___the general strike.
A. a few days after
B. a few days before
C. a few weeks after
D. a few weeks before
Questions 24 and 25 are based on the following news. At the end of the news item, you will be given 20 seconds to answer the questions. Now listen to the news.
24. Which is the main idea of the news?
A. Industrial relations in Germany.
B. The German energy industry.
C. Coalition in the government.
D. Closure of nuclear reactors.
25. The decision to shut down nuclear reactors resulted from the demand from___.
A. the Government
B. the energy industry
C. a party in the coalition
D. a declining need for nuclear energy