Decide which of the choices given below would best complete the passage if inserted in the corresponding blanks. Mark the best choice for each blank on your answer sheet.
The “standard of living” of any country means the average person's share of the goods and services the country produces. A country's standard of living, ____31_______, depends first and 32 on its capacity to produce wealth. “Wealth” in this sense is not money, for we do not live on money 33 on things that money can buy: “goods” such as food and clothing, and “services” such as transport and “ __34 __ ” .
A country's capacity to produce wealth depends upon many factors, most of 35 have an effect on one another. Wealth depends 36 a great extent upon a country's natural resources. Some regions of the world are well supplied with coal and minerals, and have a fertile soil and a 37 climate; other regions possess none of them.
Next to natural resources 38 the ability to turn them to use. China is perhaps as well 39 as the USA in natural resources, but suffered for many years from civil and 40 wars, and 41 this and other reasons was 42 to develop her resources. 43 and stable political conditions, and 44 _____ from foreign invasion, enable a country to develop its natural resources peacefully and steadily, and to produce more wealth than another country equally well 45 by nature but less well ordered.
A country's standard of living does not only depend upon the wealth that is produced and consumed 46 it own borders, but also upon what is indirectly produced through international trade. 47 Britain's wealth in foodstuffs and other agricultural products would be much less if she had to depend only on 48 _ grown at home. Trade makes it possible for her surplus manufactured goods to be traded abroad for the agricultural products that would 49 be lacking. A country’s wealth is, therefore, much influenced by its manufacturing capacity, 50 that other countries can be found ready to accept its manufactures.
31. A. however B. therefore C. nevertheless D. furthermore
32. A. primary B. principal C. foremost D. uniquely
33. A. or B. nor C. but D. except
34. A. recreation B. enlightenment C. refreshment D. entertainment
35. A. if B. them C. which D. that
36. A. with B. for C. to D. on
37. A. neutral B. favorabl C. virtuous D. marine
38. A. comes B. come C. coming D. came
39. A. off B. known C. done D. furnished
40. A. military B. external C. contemporary D. domestic
41. A. for B. because C. because of D. due to
42. A. Impossible B. Incapable C. unable D. proficient
43. A. Strong B. Sturdy C. Sound D. Robust
44. A. liberty B. freedom C. prevention D. liberation
45. A .assisted B. avenged C. rescued D. served
46. A. with B. within C. near D. without
47. A. In short B. For example C. firstly D. On one hand
48. A. those B. what C. that D. it
49. A. likely B. likewise C. certainly D. otherwise
50. A. provided B. depended C. given D. supposed