英语资讯
News

小明英语课堂第一季视频 第10课:燃烧

Source: 小明英语    2013-06-14  我要投稿   论坛   Favorite  
?

教案:

Welcome to class today! Let’s start with some slang.
欢迎来到今天的课程。让我们从俚语开始吧

Today, both of our slang use the word “burn”. Do you know what burn means?
今天我们的两个俚语都是和燃烧(烧伤)这个单词有关的。

Well, you might have gotten burned if you touched something too hot like a stove or a fire.
如果你触摸热的物体,比如炉子或者火,你就有可能被烧伤

This actually has to do with our slang this time.
这个和我们的俚语是有关联的

Our first slang is “burn up”. You can also say “burn through”.
第一个俚语是”burn up”或者”burn through”

If you are burning something up, you are using it up very quickly.
Burn something up就是很快的用完某物

So just like if you have a piece of paper
就像你把一张纸点燃

you light it on fire, then all of a sudden it’s gone
然后很快这张纸就燃尽了

You’ve used it up very quickly.
很快就被用完了

And you can use it to talk about time, or something that you have.
这个俚语也适用于时间,或者你所拥有的物品

For example, I always tell my friends
我总是跟我的朋友说

“I should get more potato chips next time, I burn through them so quickly.”
我下次应该买更多的薯片,我很快就吃光它们了

That means I should get more potato chips
意思就是我需要买更多的薯片

because I eat them very fast. I use them up very quickly.
因为我吃得很快

Another thing I hear a lot is when you use “burn up” or “burn through” to talk about time.
当谈到时间的时候,burn up或者burn through也经常会用到

Because you are just burning it, it’s gone
因为你在燃烧一个物体,它很快就没了

And one example sentence for that is “Why are you playing so many video games?
一个例子是”为什么你玩这么多游戏?

Don’t you know you are just burning through all your free time?”
你不知道你只是在浪费你的时间吗?”

That’s our first slang. Our second slang is “burn”. Just that word, burn.
这就是我们的第一个俚语。我们第二个俚语是”burn”,就这一个词

And I don’t mean a physical burn when you actually hurt yourself.
这里所说的不是烧伤

A burn in slang is an insult. So if you get made fun of,
在这里,burn是一个冒犯。如果你被调侃了

them someone else can say that “you got burned”.
那别人可以说”你被鄙视了”

For example, my friend was asking today, can cats learn to talk?
例如,我的朋友今天问,猫能学说话吗?

And then my other friend said
另外一个朋友说
“Are you always this stupid or are you trying really hard today?”
“你是一直这么笨还是故意的?”

And then I was thinking, uh-oh, that friend just got burned.
然后我就想,他被鄙视了

And another way you can say it is just “burn!”, “Oh burn!”, just like that
你可以说burn或者oh burn,这样就可以了

And the way you can remember it is that what they said to you was so strong, so fiery that you got hurt by it.
你可以这样记,别人对你说一个激烈的话,你被伤害了

Our sentence structure for today is a very simple one.
我们今天的句型是一个很简单的

It uses the word “once”.
它用了once这个单词

“Once” can also mean after something has been done.
Once的意思也是在一件事情完成了之后

Once this has been done, …
当这个完成了之后,。。。

Our first example is “Once Simon comes to China, his Chinese will improve a lot.”
我们的第一个例子是,当Simon来到中国以后,他的中文会进步很大

So the basic structure is “Once A does B, C will happen.”
基本的句型是”当A做了B以后,C才会发生”

Our other example is “Once this TV is fixed, we can watch a movie together.”
另外一个例子是,当电视修好了以后,我们可以一起看一个电影

Why don’t you try making a sentence with that structure?
你也来试试吧

And today we are going to do more etymology
今天我们来看看词源

If you don’t remember, etymology is talking about where a word came from.
词源的意思就是一个单词的来历

Because of English is a mixture of a lot of different languages,
因为英语是由很多语言构成的

you can learn a lot by looking at the etymon, or the root of words we use everyday.
你可以通过看词根学到很多词

Today I want to talk about the Latin word for “fire”.
今天想说的词是拉丁语的火

Since we were talking about burns earlier, I thought it would make sense.
因为我们之前在说燃烧和烧伤,这看上去还是有逻辑的吧。

And the Latin word for fire is “ars”, or “ard”.
在拉丁语里,火是ars或者ard

These aren’t whole words, but these are the parts we see used in English.
它们不是完整的单词,但是我们会在英语里见到这些部分

So if you see a word that starts with “ars” or “ard”
如果你看到一个单词以ars或ard开头

you can make a pretty good guess that it’s talking about something to do with fire.
你可以猜它是描述一个和火有关的意思

For example, the word “arson”. Arson is a verb.
例如arson,它是一个动词

People who commit arson are people who like to set fires or start fires.
它的意思是纵火

And a person who likes committing arson is an arsonist.
一个喜欢纵火的人叫纵火犯

If you hear the letters “ist” at the end of a word
如果你听到一个单词以ist结尾

it’s usually talking about a person who likes to do the part right before the “ist”.
一般它是描述一个人,一般是和单词的前半部分有关的

So arsonists like doing arson.
纵火犯喜欢纵火

A scientist likes doing science.
科学家喜欢科学

An artist likes doing art.
艺术家喜欢艺术

Things that end in “ist” are talking about people.
单词以ist结尾的是描述人的

And while arson and arsonist sound very similar
Arson和arsonist听上去很类似

there’s one that sounds a little different. Here’s your tough word for today. Ardent.
接下来有一个稍微不一样的,ardent

Ardent means having a lot of passion
Ardent的意思就是非常热情

Because “ard” means fire, it’s talking about an inner fire.
因为ard的意思是火,它的意思就是内心的激情

In Chinese you might say someone is very 热情,热just means heat, just like what happens with fire.
中文里的热情 热字也是和火有关的。

So a person who is very ardent about something is very passionate.
所以ardent是用来描述一个人很热情

That is our etymology for today
这就是我们今天的词源

thank you so much for coming to class.
谢谢来到今天的课

If you have any comments or questions about the materials we talked about today
如果你有任何建议或问题

follow me on Weibo, and I can answer any things you have.
来微博上关注我吧


将本页收藏到:
上一篇:小明英语课堂第一季视频 第9课:停下来
下一篇:小明英语课堂第一季视频 第11课:聚会
最新更新
论坛精彩内容
网站地图 - 学习交流 - 恒星英语论坛 - 关于我们 - 广告服务 - 帮助中心 - 联系我们
Copyright ©2006-2007 www.Hxen.com All Rights Reserved